Thursday, December 29, 2005

What's Next for Michigan?

First and foremost, I'm an Ohio State fan. But next, I'm a Big Ten fan. I was hoping Chad Henne would join the long line of great Michigan quarterbacks and execute a game-winning drive at the end of the Alamo Bowl. But it didn't happen. I honestly thought that Michigan would own that game from the beginning. But it didn't happen.

So my question is: When is it the right time to show Lloyd Carr the door?

I'm not saying that he should be fired this season, this is a guy that has been part of Michigan football for 25 years. And Michigan would not get rid of a coach on a whim and replace him with someone lackluster. All Big Ten programs are about proud tradition, and this is no exception.

And Michigan has been to a bowl game EVERY YEAR since Lloyd Carr has been there, 25 strong. That's a lot of years.

But sometimes to save the integrity of a program, you have to shake it up a bit. I don't know if there are any obvious successors to Carr, but something needs to be done. Maybe firing the Defensive Coordinator is a good start. I'll let my colleague respond as to what he thinks the next step should be.

No comments: