Thursday, August 31, 2006

Take Your Pick


Sure as the sun rose on the morning of August 31, the first day of College Football, an auspicious email appeared in my Inbox this morning from a familiar sender from whom I haven't heard since the Super Bowl.

It was my old friend SportsBetting.com reminding me with assured language to 'Bet College Football.' Well, this really brightened my day. Not only was it a blissful reminder that this is indeed the first day in many wherein a live game of competitive American football will be played, but also a reinforcement of my personal conviction that Gambling For Money is the cherry on top when it comes to College Football fandom.

There's no uninteresting angle in today's age where the parlay is king and everything from the mundane (cointoss) to the sublime (sack total) is up for wagered debate.

In their email Sportsbetting presents a pretty straightforward approach, encouraging long shot betting on the eventual National Champion with these delectable odds:

ODDS TO WIN BCS CHAMPIONSHIP
Notre Dame 4-1
Ohio St 7-1
USC 8-1
West Virginia 8-1
Texas 10-1
Auburn 12-1
Florida 15-1
California 15-1
Oklahoma 15-1
Louisville 18-1
Iowa 20-1
Michigan 20-1
Florida St 20-1
Miami FL 25-1
LSU 25-1
Penn St 40-1
Virginia Tech 40-1
Nebraska 50-1
Arizona St 50-1
Georgia 60-1
Tennessee 60-1
Oregon 70-1
Clemson 70-1

And I am tempted to put at least a few bucks on everyone with 20-1 and higher. Could pay out and will largely expand my list of to-root-for teams throughout the season.

As far as tonight, I'm taking both Mississippi State and (+7.5) and Central Michigan (+12.5) at home.

* You will have noticed that I linked to Wikipedia several times in this post. I love Wikipedia. And its entries on American Football and Gambing are no exceptions to the gold standard of user-developed content that they host. However, will someone please tell me why nobody has written an article yet on the Gambling sub-topics 'Con Games (in bars)' listed as follows:

* Put and Take
* The Smack
* The Drunken Mitt

The names are so intriguing. Someone with some experience plese write these, the seedy underbelly of betting and money games demands it!

No comments: