Monday, August 28, 2006

Adios CFN!

I know I've ragged on CFN for their watery, recycled content before. But I always kind of loved it for what it was steady, free content. And sort of like the local slut, CFN kept me floating through the offseason when the major sports web sites were pulling catholic high school maneuvers and not putting out.

That CFN gave to me in my time of need was not overlooked, and I always felt enough of an allegiance to check in every now and then (ok, daily) for a quick nut.

But when I dropped by for my fix this morning, I found to my horror that the familiar URL: www.collegefootballnews.com, redirects to a spiffy new web page with an all-too-familiar look that you and every College Football fan has seen disgrace the coverage of their own beloved teams.

Behold http://cfb.scout.com/

That's right, old reliable is gone. And we've got suckfest Scout.com (fungible with Rivals.com for overall crappiness) taking the reigns.

This was probably CFN's exit-strategy, get big enough to get bought out, and it's the way of the Internet, but it's always a fresh and shocking shame when decent free content (and just when CFN was gaining legitimacy) gets purchased and perverted by inferior providers who, like crack dealers, give a free taste than charge outrageous amounts once you need the fix.

The new CFN/Scout site is still free (for the time being), but mostly purveying the last summer's share of content that CFN pumped out. So nothing new in terms of added value, and watch out before too long I guarantee it will become just another filter pushing people into the Scout subscription service. They've already squeezed every last drop of profit out of covering recruiting and have dug their grubbing, wormy fingers into the larger college football coverage landscape.

So goodbye CFN, it was fun while it lasted.

Scout, nice try, but you'll never get a penny out of me fuckers!

No comments: